……………Yo-Yo Contest Rules………….
1. Enjoy, have fun and learn.
2. All contestants must provide own yo-yos & new string to be put on before the contest. Old & worn strings will NOT be allowed.
3. All yo-yos are subject to judge’s inspection and/or approval for contest entry.
4. If string breaks during contest, it may be replaced without penalty.
5. Do enter the contest even if you cannot do all of the tricks. Try to go as far as you can on the ladder list.
6. The entry fee to the convention event must be paid prior to contest start time. (There is no other fee to take part in the contest.)
The liability release form, and photo/publicity/video release form must be signed before contest start time. All contestants under age
18 must have a parent or guardian sign the forms prior to the start of the contest.
7. Appropriate dress/appearance is required to participate. The decision of the museum & convention director is final.
8. Suggest contestants wear plain, darker color shirt without words and without images because yo-yo tricks and string tricks will show up better.
Images on clothes detract from you & the tricks in photos as well.
9. A contestant may use ANY YO-YO or TWO DIFFERENT YO-YOS in their division; any number of yo-yos in the freestyle division may be used.
Have yo-yo and slip knot ready to go!
10. You may enter your age division, and you may also enter : any or all of Divisions D, E, F.
11. SCORING Contestant must complete the tricks in order exactly as listed on the ladder. Only one attempt at each trick. Each contestant is allowed
2 misses on the ladder. On the 3rd miss they are stopped and the final successful trick is recorded.
12. If more than five inches of the string remains outside the yo-yo when caught, it is a miss. For yo-yos that are “non-responsive” styles, one bind
to return yo-yo to your hand after doing the trick is allowed. More than one bind is a missed trick. Only the string hand can be used to catch the
yo-yo, except in free style.
13. Any throw made while in the trick circle/box counts as a try.
14. Only the following may be done while the contestant is on deck (on stage, but outside the trick circle/box): throw down, spinner/sleeper,
forward pass, a loop, or string adjustments.
15. AWARDS- Contestant must successfully complete at least 5 tricks in their division for any award (except freestyle): first place for highest trick ladder,
second for next highest, third for next highest. In a division: if top 2 or 3 contestants tie on the trick ladder, inside loops will be the tiebreaker trick.
16. TIEBREAKERS- Divisions A,B,C,D,E, F : All contestants in tiebreaker will begin inside looping at the same time, with feet fixed in one position:
longest sustaining looper wins first, second wins second place, third wins third place.
17. ALL AWARD WINNERS , PLEASE remain for a group photograph.
18. FREESTYLE- 2 minute choreographed yo-yo performance. IMPORTANT: Instrumental Music ONLY (no vocal music). Performer's words,
gestures appearance and clothes must be acceptable for a family audience in order to participate, and to score any points. The decision of the museum
director is final. A freestyle performer will be cut short if anything unacceptable is presented. All aspects must be safe.